JOB TITLE: PARKSKEEPER III, DISTRICT (6-Month Contract)
DEPARTMENT: COMMUNITY SERVICES
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Temporary 6-months
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hour workweek / variable hours
LOCATION: SANDALWOOD YARD
HOURLY RATE: $30.75 per hour
JOB TYPE: Union
POSTING DATE: November 18, 2022
CLOSING DATE: July 1, 2023
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Foreperson, Parks District, this position maintains City Parks and boulevards, operates equipment; inspects park conditions to ensure that parks are safe and well maintained. Directs students/temporary employees.
• Maintains turf in parks, boulevards, sportsfields, etc. Cuts, trims, aerates, top-dresses, fertilizes and, maintains irrigation systems for turf. Levels ground and seeds, de-thatches, sods, irrigates turf and applies pesticides under the direction of a licenced pesticide applicator. Picks-up debris and leaves.
• Removes overgrown materials, hangers, dead branches and storm damage from trees and shrubs.
• Operates equipment and tools, e.g. all trucks, trailers up to 4,600kg, bombardiers, sidewalk sweepers, plows, compressors, and related equipment. Checks all equipment daily and performs routine maintenance/minor repairs. Reports damaged equipment to Supervisor.
• Performs winter maintenance functions: heats or removes/repairs frozen hydrants, clears bush lots, repairs pathways with cold patch. Shovels/plows and removes snow on paths, bridges, parking lots. Inspects snow fences, catchbasins, etc.
• Maintains outdoor ice rinks: monitors lighting equipment, installs, repairs, removes boards, floods ice, clears snow.
• Checks park safety stations for proper equipment and signs.
• Monitors sportsfields to check for damage, or to determine field playability.
• Performs general maintenance/assembling including repairing benches, tennis courts, backstops, painting, fencing, cleaning watercourses, litter pick-up, sign repair, installing goal posts, building curbstones, homeplates, pitchers & plates.
• Assists in special events e.g. picks-up/delivers stages, distributes fliers, directs traffic.
• Direct part-time and temp staff daily as and when required.
• Respond to public inquiries.
• Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
• Over one (1) year, up to and including two (2) years experience in parks maintenance.
• Posses a valid Ontario class DZ driver’s licence and City of Brampton Operator Permit for vehicles and equipment listed under Parkskeeper III.
• Must posses a good working knowledge of outdoor parks maintenance and use of required personal safety clothing/equipment.
• Able to perform required duties with minimal supervision.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
**Preference will be given to students that have a permanent residency in Brampton.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above by July 1, 2023 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. Should you wish to opt out of completing the survey, please select “prefer not to answer” as a response to each question. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.