PROJECT MANAGER, BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION (HVAC or Electrical System Upgrades)
POSTING NUMBER: 103243
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $99,972.00 – $112,469.00
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $124,965.00
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager of Building Design and Construction, this position is responsible for effective and efficient project development and / or project management to the standards required by legislation and the City. The projects include state of good repair, interior office space alterations and renovations, additions and construction of new facilities.
Project Delivery Team:
Seeking One (1) Project Manager (HVAC OR Electrical Systems) within the Project Delivery Team with considerable knowledge and experience in project management, construction site management, stakeholder management and technical support, and coordination with internal City divisions /external agencies. The Project Manager works as a part of a larger integrated delivery team which is responsible for the implementation of state of good repair (SOGR), interior office moves, renovations, additions and new construction projects. The Project Manager will lead the team of staff, external consultants and contractors to carry out multiple projects and oversee all aspects of projects; from the project initiation phase to close out.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of leading the project from start to finish. Provide advice, guidance and technical assistance for all construction and renovation projects throughout the organization.
- Manage project teams including staff, external consultants and contractors to effectively implement new construction and renovations projects.
- Plan, schedule and coordinate all activities related to successfully implementing state of good repair, interior office moves, renovations, additions and the construction of new facilities projects.
- Develop a risk management and action plan, monitor risks, take the appropriate action proactively to minimize potential negative impact of the risks on the project, and report on risk responses.
- Create and implement a communication strategy for all projects to keep stakeholders informed. Attend public meetings to make presentations and respond to queries about new development and construction projects.
- Coordinate the procurement process with Purchasing, Legal and Project Stakeholders
- Prepare and evaluate procurement documents and consultant proposals and make recommendations for Council approval. Make recommendations in accordance with legislation and Corporate Standards.
- Work collaboratively with clients, other departments, committees, area municipalities and other government bodies to ensure coordinated development and construction activities.
- Apply technical knowledge to all site plan approvals, building/fire codes and accessibility guidelines and construction techniques.
- Prepare project contracts and use expertise to read and interpret drawings and specifications. Effectively coordinate all documentation, including all correspondence from architects, engineers, building inspectors, contractors and sub-contractors.
- Administration duties include providing detailed and timely status and progress reports on projects, creating project charter, project schedules and governance.
- Establish preliminary and final budgets for projects. Ensure budget control is in place and projects are delivered within budgets and schedules.
- Analyze the impact of project deferrals, cost overruns, delays and inform client groups. Recommend measures to ensure the project requirements are addressed accordingly.
- Ensure all closeout documents are acceptable. Establish and maintain project information to support management information systems (e.g. cost control sheet, quantity survey data etc.
- University degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical with significant experience in HVAC, Building Automation Systems (BAS) or Electrical System Upgrades) or Environmental Sciences or Architecture or Interior Design or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the application of the principles and practices of facility operations and construction.
- Over 5 years of progressive project development and/or implementation experience, in state of good repair, renovation and multi-phased major building projects, preferably in the public sector
- Strong administrative and budgetary skills involving building capital programs and operating budgets
- Over 5 years’ experience managing professional staff, consultants, construction firms and general contractors and leading project teams
- Professional or eligible to obtain designations with P. Eng., OAA, ARIDO, PMP, or membership in Project Management Institute (PMI) preferred.
- Knowledge and application of project management methodology, construction techniques and materials
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable codes and government legislation including (but not limited to) the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, the Construction Lien Act, The National Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, Construction Standards Association, etc.
- Exceptional communication skills both written and oral (English)
- Computer proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) project software and AutoCAD
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by January 7, 2019
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103243 by January 7, 2019 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.