Assist with the maintenance of parkland and open space within the City of Brampton
Duties include some or all of the following:
Maintains turf in parks, boulevards and sports fields. Cuts, trims, aerates, top-dresses, and fertilizes. Levels ground and seeds, de-thatches, sods, and irrigates turf. Picks up debris and leaves;
- Maintains turf in parks, boulevards, sportsfields, etc. Cuts, trims, aerates, top-dresses, fertilizes and, maintains irrigation systems for turf. Levels ground and seeds, de-thatches, sods, irrigates turf and applies pesticides under the direction of a licenced pesticide applicator. Picks-up debris and leaves.
- Removes overgrown materials, hangers, dead branches and storm damage from trees and shrubs.
- Operates equipment and tools, e.g. all trucks, trailers up to 3,628kg, bombardiers, sidewalk sweepers, plows, compressors, and related equipment. Checks all equipment daily and performs routine maintenance/minor repairs. Reports damaged equipment to Supervisor.
- Performs winter maintenance functions: heats or removes/repairs frozen hydrants, clears bush lots, repairs pathways with cold patch, grooms Chinguacousy Park ski and cross-country trails, operates snow making equipment, erects/takes down winter bubble. Shovels/plows and removes snow on paths, bridges, parking lots. Inspects snow fences, checks pond ice depths, catchbasins, etc.
- Maintains outdoor ice rinks: monitors lighting equipment, installs, repairs, removes boards, floods ice, clears snow.
- Inspects playgrounds weekly to ensure compliance of CAN/CSA-Z614-98 Playgrounds standards. Repairs damaged/worn parts. Checks for safety hazards and corrects as needed including litter and signage.
- Checks park safety stations for proper equipment and signs.
- Monitors sportsfields to check for damage, or to determine field playability.
- Performs general maintenance/assembling including repairing benches, tennis courts, backstops, painting, fencing, cleaning watercourses, litter pick-up, sign repair, installing goal posts, building curbstones, homeplates, pitchers & plates.
- Assists in special events e.g. picks-up/delivers stages, distributes fliers, directs traffic.
- Direct part-time and temp staff daily as and when required.
- Respond to public inquiries.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent;
- Over one (1) year, up to and including two (2) years experience in parks maintenance.
- Possess a valid Ontario class DZ driver's licence and City of Brampton Operator Permit for vehicles and equipment listed under Parkskeeper III
- CSA Certification for Playgrounds
- Ontario Training and Adjustment Board Arborist (Chainsaw)
- Must posses a good working knowledge of outdoor parks maintenance and use of required personal safety clothing/equipment.
- Able to perform required duties with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Submit a Standard Criminal Record Check
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Union
Hourly Rate: *under review
Applications must be received by July 01, 2019
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, apply online by July 01, 2019 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.