BUSINESS ADVISOR, CAPITAL PLANNING
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $87,514.00- $98,454.00
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $109,393.00
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Business Advisor, Capital Planning is responsible leading and managing the Brampton’s Strategic Facility Asset Management roadmap and its implementation while consulting with clients on tools, polices and decision processes to effectively manage facilities. The Business Advisor, Capital Planning role will evaluate and analyze client asset management and capital planning needs producing new and creative analytical solutions that will become a part of Community Services core deliverables. Being the key representative in developing, implementing and managing an asset management investment plan and multi-year forecast the Business advisor will need to work closely with the Corporate Asset Management team and Construction groups.
The Business Advisor is also responsible for recommending ways to ensure optimal performance of all City Facilities and provide technical expertise to meet organizational effectiveness and corporate service standards.
The Asset Management and Capital Planning section is accountable for the facility asset management strategy with both short and long-term perspectives to ensure system reliability and maximize the return of city-wide building assets through value for money.
The section also provides technical standards, process, direction and over sight to the resources conducting facility condition assessments, annual building inspections and other specialized asset assessments.
The Facility Asset Management team facilitates life cycle management through facility inspection projects, capital planning process, and facility related studies to ensure core services are aligned with overall objectives and federal codes and legislative requirements.
- Develops, implements and manages the Asset Management System business process for Facilities Management which would include Policy, Framework and Roadmap for on-going maintenance and implementation.
- Provides support and advice on Strategic Maintenance Plan.
- Provide advisory subject matter expertise to support and recommend solutions and changes in ways to meet operational effectiveness.
- Oversees facilities asset planning including updating infrastructure data inventories, infrastructure condition assessment data, risk assessment data, life cycle costing data and integration of activity and costing data from the work management systems.
- Work with various departments to estimate future costs for replacement, rehabilitation, or general maintenance requirements for all assets using industry standard practices.
- Directs the activities associated with ongoing evaluation and monitoring of all processes and ancillary equipment and develops solutions for improvement or corrective action.
- Review impacts of continued growth of existing assets with consideration to resources required to maintain service levels, as well as identifying future service expansion and required resources
- Perform cost/benefit analysis and risk management analysis related to asset management.
- Assist in budgeting and 10-year capital plan formulation, utilizing information derived from the Asset Management System.
- Leads in house project feasibility studies, cost benefit analysis, business case development and related studies for the planning and development of FOM initiatives.
- Provide technical expertise regarding building component lifecycle matters.
STAFF GUIDANCE AND DIRECTION
- Support staff, prioritize and organize daily work direction to meet operational effectiveness.
- Coach, mentor and provide guidance as required to meet operational effectiveness.
- Participate in recruitment and hiring process as required to meet operational effectiveness.
- Provide facility/asset guidance to facility operations.
- Act as an advisory subject matter expert to meet corporate service standards. Escalate complex issues to appropriate level.
- Liaise with stakeholders in order to understand business needs and recommend solutions to meet operational effectiveness.
- Build and maintain a relationship with internal and external stakeholders, departments and team members to achieve common goals and objectives.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Present and convey complex concepts and conditions to stakeholders; develop reports, proposals and make recommendations to management for effective decision-making.
- Develops, recommends, manages and reports on internal and external Asset Management benchmarking to track and report on asset management maturity development at Facilities Management.
- Prepares technical reports, City Council/Committee reports and content for public education/communication purposes as required.
- Creates and manages a strategic plan and activities associated with the Facilities Management building assets.
- Creates Asset Life Cycle Plans for each facility.
- Identifies building renewal needs to optimize life cycle costing, incorporates financial modelling risk assessment, schedules and implements cash flow requirements.
- Coordinates Building Condition Assessment Studies and other infrastructure planning studies related to the Facilities Management building assets.
- Arranges for investigations and prepares reports on technical matters.
- Keep management informed of activities and initiatives; recommend solutions for effective decision-making.
- Leads strategic planning and infrastructure planning activities associated with Facilities Management’s assets.
- Lead project teams to identify business needs, solutions and business acceptance for facility assets.
- Assist in developing and monitoring assigned properties and real estate projects and contributes to real estate program and project compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of collective agreements, City policies and practices, legislation, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of emerging practices, concepts and industry drivers that may impact asset management and/or may need to be implemented divisionally.
- Develops systems for forecasting operating impacts derived from future capital development.
- Lead and analyse the annual capital budget and long-term forecast.
- Oversee the Facility asset inventory and work order system as well as develop the capital lifecycle budget for FOM.
- Prepare and analyse cash flow projections to support the analysis of building improvements and business plans.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Participate on project initiatives as a subject matter expert.
- Maintains strong working relationships with Facilities Maintenance and various City divisions.
- Work well within diverse groups to achieve common goals and objectives that meet operational effectiveness and corporate service standards.
- Participate as a member of cross-functional team.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A university degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Commerce or related field
- Professional Engineer licence, Project Management certificate and/or MBA an asset
- 5-7 years’ experience in the development and analysis of business plans, capital planning & asset management, strategic planning and the operation of related business units.
- Knowledge of project management, building and fire codes, Health and Safety regulations and standards
- 3-5 years supervisory experience is an asset; Ability to guide and motivate staff
- Practical knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments and applicable Legislations is an asset
- Strategic thinker with ability to translate vision into action
- Strong Presentation skills; Facilitate and convey concepts in a clear and concise manner
- Strong Customer Service and People Management skills; Interface with internal and external stakeholders and resolve issues to meet corporate service standards
- Strong Organizational skills; Detail oriented, well organized and able to prioritize complex tasks and meet critical deadlines
- Strong Analytical skills for complex problem solving
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office/software
- Strong interpersonal, communication, negotiation and leadership skills.
- An understanding of financial analytical tools and experience in completing primary research and data collection.
- Experience in the coordination or development of facility capital budgets would be an asset.
- Familiarity with computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) and computerized asset management systems (CAMS) would be an asset.
- Experience managing strategic or operational projects with demonstrated ability to deliver on-time quality results.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: November 25, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment by November 25, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.