FINANCIAL PLANNING ADVISOR (12 MONTH CONTRACT)
POSTING NUMBER: #103204
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $87,514.00 - $98,454.00
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $103,393.00
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Corporate Budgets, the primary purpose of this position is to provide financial analysis and strategic recommendations through the development, presentation, approval and implementation of the City’s annual Budget. This includes preparing and reviewing budget submissions, Council reports and procurement reports, while ensuring that all legislative and Corporate standards are met and adequate financial controls are in place.
- Develop the Annual Corporate Budget
- Provide financial analysis and strategic recommendations for the City of Brampton’s annual budget development, ($573M annual operating budget and $200M annual capital budget).
- Prepare short, mid-term and long-term analysis on capital funding sources, in order to recommend annual capital envelopes, includes identifying risks and opportunities.
- Support the development of annual budget guidelines by conducting analysis and researching best practices, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Review and consolidate operating and capital budget submissions from all departments to ensure accuracy and adherence to budget guidelines, legislation, corporate policies and procedures, by-laws and best practices.
- Prepare budget submission materials in a format conducive for ELT and SMT review, consisting of over 500 cost centres and 15,000 current accounts as well as over 1,000 live capital projects
- Prepare budget related materials for Council Workshops, Council Budget Deliberations and Final Budget Approval.
- Prepare, review and consolidate commentary and financial information for inclusion in the City's Business Plan and Budget binder.
- Coordinate, communicate, educate, advise and train departmental Business Services Offices and Financial Planning Analysts in all City Departments on budget development processes, timelines and requirements
- Prepare financial templates and complex financial models for Operating and Capital budgets
- Attend Council Budget Deliberations, track changes from decision points and update Property Tax models in real time, in order to provide Council with timely understanding of the tax impact of decisions.
- Prepare, as requested by Senior Management Team or Council, comparative analyses of Brampton versus other Municipalities/Regions, using FIR data, other municipal/regional budget reports, and provide in a manner that is easily understood (tables, graphs, etc.)
- Maintain relationships with other municipalities’/regions’ Finance and Budget staff to facilitate inquiries of results identified from comparative analyses of Brampton with other Municipalities/Regions, enabling clear and accurate explanations for those results
- Update all budget materials to reflect the final approved budget, including the City’s annual budget binder.
- Implement approved budget by loading all Capital Projects and account level budgets in the City’s financial system (PeopleSoft), ensuring 100% accuracy of all budgets and funding sources.
- Administer the Annual Corporate Budget
- Establish budget appropriations limits in PeopleSoft to ensure expenditures cannot exceed approved budgets.
- Investigate and analyse budget appropriation failures, obtain variance explanations and approvals from department heads and process appropriation increases with 100% accuracy.
- Prepare financial analysis of the City’s fiscal position for the Quarterly Operating and Reserve status reports to Council, including identifying risks and opportunities.
- Implement budget transfers resulting from re-organizations, new cost centres and accounts and cost centre transfers.
- Review financial implications of all Council and Procurement reports to ensure proposed initiatives have been approved by Council, sufficient funds exist and appropriate funding sources are used.
- Analyse Budget Amendment requests to ensure all funding options are identified, appropriate funding sources are used and communicate impact on associated reserves.
- Coordinate, communicate, educate, advise and train departmental Business Services Offices and Financial Planning Analysts in all City departments on budget administration processes and requirements.
- Administer the Corporate Budget Systems (GABE and CFAB)
- Lead functional user for budget systems including liaising with corporate IT, managing and implementing system changes, upgrades and customizations to optimize business processes
- Prepare policies and procedures to ensure that data management in GABE and CFAB is accurate, consistent and adheres to budget guidelines.
- Communicate, train, educate and advise departmental Business Services offices on system procedures and requirements, to ensure GABE and CFAB are used consistently and appropriately.
- Administer GABE system procedures, such as annual fiscal rollovers, quarterly forecasting processes and importing/exporting data to/from PeopleSoft.
- Administer security in GABE, such as locking/unlocking user access.
- Ensure budget transfers are processed accurately in GABE
- Ensure re-organizations are reflected timely and accurately in GABE and CFAB.
- Administer GABE system back-ups to ensure annual forecast data is available and maintained.
- Provide Financial Modelling, Analysis and Advice
- Prepare complex financial modelling, analysis, templates and reporting to support ELT, SMT and management decisions.
- Formulate strategic financial recommendations and provide constructive insight on financial-related matters
- Provide financial modelling and support during collective bargaining processes
- Act as an influential mediator to resolve inter-Departmental financial issues.
- Provide guidance to Business Services Managers and Financial Planning Analysts in all City Departments on various financial-related matters
- Act as a subject matter expert to handle and resolve analytical complex issues, prioritize requests to meet corporate service standards. Escalate complex issues to appropriate level.
- Build and maintain a relationship with internal and external stakeholders, departments and team members to achieve common goals and objectives.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Present and convey complex concepts and conditions to stakeholders; develop reports, proposals and make recommendations to management for effective decision-making.
- Keep management informed of activities and initiatives; recommend solutions for effective decision-making.
- Conduct Research and Development
- Focus on continuous improvement by constantly evaluating processes, reporting, procedures, systems, resources and capacity.
- Conduct research and prepare ad hoc studies of, for example, external economic impacts, policy review, and comparative benchmarking of other municipalities and make recommendations for improved risk management
- Participate in Corporate budget teams as required, in order to investigate, research and develop new initiatives, such as alternative budget systems.
- Prepare and present recommendations to management.
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Lead and participate on project initiatives as a subject matter expert.
- Work well within diverse groups to achieve common goals and objectives that meet operational effectiveness and corporate service standards.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Participate as a member of cross-functional team.
- University degree in Commerce, Economics, Finance, Accounting or Business Administration, or similar related program
- Minimum 3-5 years of progressive experience in a Finance related field
- Experience with municipal finance, budgeting and infrastructure funding considered an asset
- Knowledge of relevant municipal legislation considered an asset (e.g. Development Charges Act, Municipal Act, etc.)
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual thinking with strong reasoning and problem solving abilities
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office including extensive knowledge of spreadsheet and database applications and PeopleSoft Financials
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, and public relations skills
- Ability to communicate (oral and written) at a high level of proficiency
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent performance and work record
- Strong Organizational skills; Detail oriented, well organized and able to prioritize complex tasks and meet critical deadlines
- Professional designation (e.g. CPA, CA, CGA, CMA, CFA)
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: November 23, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103204 by November 23, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.