ZONING PLANS EXAMINER
(1 YEAR CONTRACT)
POSTING NUMBER: 103214
SALARY: $76,421.80 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Zoning and Sign By-Law Services this position reviews building permits and land development applications to ensure compliance with all applicable zoning by-laws.
- Review building permit applications to ensure plans comply with all applicable zoning by-law requirements and recommend solutions where corrective action is required. Review and interpret construction drawings (site and subdivision plans, engineering drawings etc.) to ensure compliance with zoning standards and provide information regarding the various procedures to be followed in attaining zoning approval.
- Review, evaluate and approve, where appropriate, all two-unit dwelling registration applications. Monitor two-unit dwelling application status and manage workflow within prescribed timeframes.
- Review Committee of Adjustment/Land Division applications, perform site inspections, prepare zoning reports, attend Cross-Functional Team meeting, Committee of Adjustment hearings and confirm all required variances for the purpose of providing public.
- Respond to various email, counter and telephone enquiries regarding land use, zoning related matters, two-unit dwelling registration process and requirements, by-law interpretation, etc.
- Review, respond and issue zoning violation notices and perform site inspections with or without Property Standards and By-law Enforcement staff, as required, to engage with property owners in an effort to achieve compliance with the Zoning By-law.
- Provide information in response to lawyers' requests for compliance reports. Perform research and prepare a formal response to report on zoning by-law requirements and compliance
- Liaise with other departments in reference to building permit applications, driveway widening applications, site plan applications, zoning by-laws, Site Plan Control, Development Permit System, Interim Control By-law, proposed by-law amendments, Committee of Adjustment applications, etc.
- Provide interpretation services to assists builders/contractors in understanding zoning by-law requirements e.g. permitted uses, setback requirements, parking requirements, etc.
- Maintain on-line electronic zoning by-law and ensure that amendments are kept up to date. Possess thorough knowledge and understanding of City of Brampton zoning by-laws
- Prepare research material for prosecutions and appear as a witness and to give testimony in court at the time of prosecution. Liaise with By-law Enforcement staff to coordinate applicable Zoning By-law section(s) for prosecution and the drafting of charges.
- Review and comment on proposed draft zoning by-law amendments, ensuring consistency in language and identifying potential issues with interpretation, application, etc.
- Review all draft plans of subdivision to ensure compliance with the zoning by-law has been achieved prior to registration
- Provide input and participate in the development of procedural improvements related to ongoing internal departmental and inter-departmental programs.
- Review licensing applications and pool enclosure permit applications
- Provide guidance and training to new employees and oversee, assign and verify work of co-op students.
- Performs other similar and related duties as assigned.
- High School (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two (2) and up to three (3) years in Architectural or Engineering Technology, or equivalent
- Over two (2) years, up to and including four (4) years of experience conducting application compliance reviews related to planning.
- Completion of a four-year degree in Urban Planning, Environmental Studies, Geography, Architecture, Engineering or related field of study an asset
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and relevant by-laws
- Demonstrated organizational and communications skills with the ability to deal effectively with the public
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: November 25, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference # 103214 by November 25, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.