SIGNS PLANS EXAMINER (6-MONTH CONTRACT)
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Zoning and Sign By-law Services, reviews sign permits to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code and the City of Brampton Sign By-law.
- Provides preliminary plan assessment over the counter for the determination of the adequacy of technical and administrative documentation, compliance with the sign by-law and extent of other “applicable law” related to permit issuance
- Provide guidance to business owners/contractors, as required, on achieving compliance with the Sign By-law and obtaining approval of applicable laws.
- Perform comprehensive review of permanent and temporary sign applications to ensure plans comply with the Ontario Building Code and Sign By-law.
- Issue deficiency letters to permit applicants via email and recommend solutions where corrective action is required.
- Performs calculations for the determination of sign/wall area and percentage, construction value and permit fees.
- Perform comprehensive review of online mobile sign applications. Verify completeness of applications, ensure plans comply with the Sign By-law, add electronic comments and markups as required, scrutinize administrative documents provided and compile approval documents for permit issuance via email.
- Maintain an accurate electronic inventory of approved mobile sign locations on mapping system
- Respond to various email, counter and telephone enquiries providing Sign By-law interpretation and availability of proposed mobile sign locations.
- Self regulate daily workload based on Ontario Building Code stipulated timelines and number of online applications submitted.
- Liaise with Inspectors and By-law Enforcement Officers on Building Code and Sign By-Law enforcement queries.
- Monitor portfolio of inactive permit applications for cancellation in accordance with the Sign By-law and the Ontario Building Code.
- Participate in Sign By-Law cross-functional team and special projects under the direction of the Supervisor, Zoning and Sign By-law Services.
- Provide input and participate in the development and improvement of technical guidelines, policies and procedures and Sign By-law amendments.
- Assist the Manager and Supervisor performing research and preparation of reports for applications for amendments to the Sign By-law.
- Assist the Supervisor, providing comments on signage proposed for new development projects subject to site plan approval.
- Provide guidance and training to new employees and oversee, assign and verify completeness, compliance with the Ontario Building Code and Sign By-law.
- Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two and up to three years in Architectural Technology, Engineering Technology (Technician level) or equivalent.
- Over one (1) year, up to and including two (2) years experience in a regulatory environment or direct experience in the construction or design.
- Successful completion of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations for Legal Processes and Small Buildings.
- Successful completion of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations for Building Structural is an asset.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $63,299.60 per annum
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: October 23, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference # 103176 by October 23, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.