Under the direction of the Supervisor, Development Approvals, co-ordinates and manages the approval process of new residential, industrial subdivisions and site plans by reviewing and approving engineering consultant designs and plans, including roads, storm sewers, storm water management facilities, drainage and grading. Liaises with internal and external stakeholders and ensures that Municipal and Provincial standards are adhered to and public and private interests are protected.
- Liaises with representatives of various internal and external agencies to assist in the mediation and negotiation of conflicting points of interest; ensuring appropriate decisions are reached on behalf of the Corporation and approvals are processed in a timely manner and milestones are reached.
- Analyses and approves detailed engineering designs and cost estimates submitted by consultants; ensuring project costs are accurate and realistic.
- Reviews the Conditions of Draft Approval, the approved Draft Plan of Subdivision and the engineering design to ensure that all engineering conditions have been addressed.
- Reviews schedules of the Subdivision Agreement to ensure implementation and compliance of all engineering conditions and requirements of the Draft Approval.
- Reviews and approves residential and industrial site plan engineering submissions as they relate to various plans and reports (i.e. grading, storm drainage and sewer, erosion, geotechnical and legal).
- Ensures designs are in compliance with Municipal and Provincial standards and accepted engineering practices, to protect the interests of the Corporation, adjacent property owners and the environment.
- Provides technical review on behalf of the Ministry of Environment (MOE) for Certificate of Approval applications related to storm sewer systems and storm water management ponds.
- Performs site inspections and liaises with consulting engineers, contractors and developers to ensure work is progressing as approved; reporting deficiencies immediately.
- Coordinates all engineering work on site plans and clears for security reduction and/or release.
- Requests issuance of a citation, initiates request for prosecution for non-compliance of approved plan and represents various divisions within the Corporation during prosecution.
- Assists in the initial review of studies and supporting engineering servicing reports to ensure environmental protection and requirements of draft approval are met and the design complies with Functional Servicing Reports (FSR).
- Ensures adequate securities and insurance have been provided for proposed work.
- Determines corrective action as it relates to petitions and complaints; ensuring issues are resolved efficiently and effectively.
- Responds to engineering inquiries from external agencies, consultants and the public.
- Maintains accurate and up to date records, both hard copy and electronic of all activities and correspondence related to the approval process.
- Attends meetings and represents the Section and/or Corporation as a member of numerous committees.
- Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- High School (Grade 12) plus an additional program of over two (2) and up to three (3) years in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- Over four (4) years, up to and including eight (8) year of related experience.
- Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) designation with the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
- Valid, non-probationary Ontario Class G Driver’s Licence.
- Registered with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO).
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $82,973.80 annually
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: October 24, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103119 by October 24, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.