STRATEGIC LEADER, POLICY PLANNING (2 YEAR CONTRACT)
Do you thrive on challenging the status quo and bring a courageous, fresh perspective? This may be the right role for you.
You have a passion for conducting comprehensive research and analysis to inform and implement decisions. Your greatest successes were achieved through collaborative and strategic thinking that together deliver transformative results. You are collaborative and can easily develop meaningful partnerships that are based on a strong understanding of your client’s needs. You have strong organizational and project management skills.
There is a bold new vision in place for the future of Brampton, redefining what 905 communities are all about. We are looking for two seasoned professionals with a passion for
- Strategic Leader on the development of Brampton’s new Official Plan.
- Strategic Leader for the Future Ready Framework, a comprehensive operational review which will ensure the Brampton Planning and Development Services Department is considered a leader in the industry.
We are invested in creating a culture of engagement where people matter, service is paramount, and we build a community that is innovative, inclusive and bold.
- Manage the flow of information between external stakeholders and City staff and Council related to Planning policy
- Build relationships with senior leadership and external stakeholders needed to foster optimal development in the City
- Provide project management expertise to support strategic initiaitves and projects
- Lead and participate on project teams and gather information from a wide variety of sources to ensure effective decision making can occur within tight timelines
PARTNERSHIP AND RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Provide Guidance to senior leaders to determine appropriate resolution of operational and politically sensitive matters
- Build and maintain effective relationships within all levels of government and external stakeholders that with enhance the goals of the City and reflect the urban issues of a transitioning municipality
- Collaborate with partners, assess and prioritize issues, research and coordinate supporting information and facilitate appropriate action to ensure success in achieving shared goals
- Demonstrate knowledgeable leadership in order to build trust and sense of shared responsibility in the delivery of Planning goals and objectives.
- Provide consultative advice and expertise on issues that may impact the division, department and the City and provide recommendations accordingly. `
- Act as key contributor to communication processes within the Department and expedites information for effective information delivery contemplated or approved changes to planning policy
- Build professional relationships with internal and external customers, government agencies and key stakeholders to promote, deliver and integrate service expectations in alignment with corporate strategies
- Anticipate and troubleshoot issues, determine appropriate e courses of action
- Lobby other levels of government on behalf of the interests of Brampton
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Provide proactive strategic communications for key initiatives such as briefings and reports.
- Provide advice to senior leaders and Council on matters that are subject to litigation, and report back on outcomes of proceedings.
- Attend and represent the department to present reports, make presentations, and provide consultative professional advice and expertise.
- Work closely with Communications to ensure accurate key messages for media purposes.
- Anticipate, assess and evaluate internal and external factors and trends that affect the organization such as technological and organizational practices and recommend strategies to implement measures and mitigate risks.
- Provide advice on policy, economic and market issues affecting the development potential of City relative to legislation and other community factors.
- Maintain knowledge of collective agreements, City policies and practices, legislation, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
- Manage and control project expenditures to ensure budget compliance.
- Lead internal staff working groups, and manage external vendors to budget
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Lead and manage projects and program initiatives.
- Ability to foster engagement and contribute to the building of consensus to achieve Service Plan goals and objectives.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to achieve Service Plan goals and objectives while respecting diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in, Urban Planning, Public Administration, or equivalent related field
- 5-7 years experience in an advisory capacity to senior level leaders.
- Proven project management experience.
- Proven relationship management experience.
- Preference is given to those who are members in good standing of a professional planning organization
- Thorough knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments and applicable Legislations is an asset
- Ability to communicate vision and goals to targeted stakeholders.
- Solid Customer Service and People Management skills; Interface with internal and external key stakeholders, government agencies, vendors and consultants
- Solid Negotiation skills to negotiate with key stakeholders, vendors and consultants to ensure optimal resources are in place to meet project and operational deliverables
- Solid Organizational skills; Detail oriented, well organized and able to prioritize complex tasks with critical deadlines
- Solid Analytical skills for complex problem solving
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office/software
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $112,329.00 annually (negotiable)
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: October 22, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment by October 22, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.