Sr. Supervisor, Operations
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager of Operations, this position supervises Transit Operations Supervisors and Transit Operators to ensure delivery of all scheduled transit services. Responsible for on-time and efficient transit service delivery along with customer service excellence.
- Centralized Services. This role is accountable to provide operational coverage in these three functional areas:
- Operations Control & Efficiency
- Employee Relations
- Passengers Relations, Safety & Security
- The Senior Supervisor, Operations will provide back-up coverage for each other, and also to the Senior Supervisor, Operations Training and Safety, as required and vice-versa.
- Functional leadership. Oversees day-to-day operations managing the transit system meeting the on-time delivery of advertised Transit service. Establishes appropriate policies and procedures for the section to and ensures these are updated or changed as required to meet the service plan and strategic goals. Liaises with other departments and transit system and external agencies as required. Investigates, identifies, and corrects systemic issues and service challenges, deals with emergency situations, system disruptions and employee issues. Ensures adherence to applicable legislation and agreements, fostering positive labour relations. Prepares regular written reports and other documentation/presentations to senior management. Ensures effective coordination of all resources (people, equipment, vehicles) to ensure daily service requirements.
- Staff supervision. Provides coaching, support, guidance, supervision, information, and overall leadership to Transit Supervisors and Transit Operators. Accountable for ensuring standard operating procedures for Transit operations are developed, reviewed and followed. Ensures and encourages a positive culture and establishes measures for maintaining effective corporate code of conduct. Utilizes available resources in cost effective manner. Responsible for the Supervisor's Report of Employee Accident (SREA) process, claims management, return to work, and staff accommodations. Ensure standards are maintained and all regulatory and collective agreements are complied with. Administer transit absenteeism control program and take actions to reduce absenteeism if needed including review/approval/denial of Supervisor and Operator overtime inquiries. Responsible for employee time sheets, performance management, documentation, and disciplinary action as required. Ensures staff receive the appropriate training and are kept current on industry technical requirements and legislative changes, as well as divisional goals and objectives. Recruit new staff as required. Coordinates yearly master shift bid and monitors Supervisors’ shift schedules. Works collaboratively with Training & Safety to deliver new/refresher Operator training.
- Customer service support. Respond to inquiries from the public, City departments and members of Council. Investigate and respond to public complaints in timely manner. Seeks and identifies continuous improvements for Brampton Transit. Utilize technology and social media to reach transit customers and resolve their concerns.
- Safety & Security. Operations liaison for emergency management and business continuity. Provides inputs to the Transit Security Plan. Works with corporate security department and external agencies (including Peel Regional Police, other transit systems in GTHA, and Transport Canada) to ensure safety and security of Transit vehicles and facilities. Investigates Red Light infractions.
- Post-secondary education (degree or diploma) in related field (e.g. Transportation Engineering, Business Administration, Human Resources, Labour Relations) or the equivalent experience/education.
- More than 5 years of progressive supervisory experience in a municipal transit related or a unionized environment; with experience in labour relations.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation, policies and regulations, i.e. Occupational Health & Safety Act, etc.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and the ability to learn transit operations software.
- Knowledge of scheduling and transit operations, and complaint investigations experience would be an asset.
- Strong communication skills, oral and written.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $99,972.00 per annum
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: October 30, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103151 by October 30, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.