AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering, this professional position is responsible for providing leadership to project engineers and for providing project management expertise on specific engineering design and construction assignments. This ensures that designs meet City, engineering and legislative standards and protects public safety while projects progress effectively and efficiently.
- Project Management. Administers capital work projects by formulating designs, preparing schedules, guiding technical staff. Assists in the preparation of annual project budget by preparing cost estimates of projects. Prepares engineering design drawings and contract documents for tender call and arranges the award of the contract. Organizes engineering activities in the approval process, and facilitates approvals with various internal and external agencies.
- Provides engineering consultation and expertise. Analyzes engineering designs of Capital projects using computer system and professional acumen. Checks for accuracy of design work as prepared by Consulting Engineers and design staff. Initiates requests for land acquisition and participates in negotiations and environmental assessments. Ensures that adequate safety protections and environmental standards are in place and are in accordance with provincial and municipal standards, specifications and guidelines. Ensures unnecessary maintenance costs are eliminated.
- Supervises. Provides direct supervision to project engineers and provides guidance and technical advice to design staff and inspectors in the division. Distributes and assigns work. Conducts performance evaluations and recommends training & development. Provides input to divisional budgeting process and prepares annual report on activity.
- Liaison and represent. Liaise with other public bodies, i.e. Region of Peel, Hydro One, Consumer Gas etc. on relocation of utilities to accommodate new construction. Representative on committees, to establish standards and criteria for municipal Engineering matters. May represent Division on other committees and teams, meeting with external agencies, developers and landowners or civil engineers. Coordinates obtaining approvals for capital projects from governing bodies including but not limited to the Ministry of Natural Resources, Ministry of Environment, Department of Oceans & Fisheries, Railways and Conservation Authorities. Determines property requirements and assists realty services with the acquisition.
- Degree in Civil Engineering
- Registered and Licensed as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) by the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- 5 or more years of experience in a municipal or similar public sector engineering environment
- Courses in Public Administration/Financial Management
- Proven ability to manage in a team environment and to supervise technical professionals
- Training in engineering computer applications
- Project Management experience and methodology
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken) in English; ability to write and present complex data to non-professionals
- Conflict management, influence and negotiation skills
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $99,972.00 to $112,469.00 (midpoint).
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: October 15, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103138 by October 15, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.