SENIOR MANAGER ROAD OPERATIONS
Reference #: 103077
Starting salary $ 124,786.00 annually; Midpoint $ 140,385.00 annually
We are looking for an experienced senior leader to inspire a high performance culture based on strong values and competencies that align with where our organization is headed. We are transforming as an organization and as a community. Be part of this journey by leading the modernization of our road operations service delivery and driving a culture of engagement.
You are keenly interested because relationship building comes natural ~ you are a collaborator that is known for being fair and transparent. You inspire others to think bigger and building a progressive Road Operations team is what inspires you. You thrive on challenging the status quo and bringing a courageous, fresh perspective that delivers transformative results.
You excel at building meaningful, authentic partnerships and are known as a progressive leader that intuitively facilitates cross-functional strategic alignment and cohesiveness. You understand what it takes to drive strategic initiatives forward while delivering operational excellence and adding value to the business. You think big, demonstrate high integrity and passion as you identify opportunities to build responsiveness and culture.
We are invested in creating a culture of engagement where people matter, service is paramount, and we build a community that is innovative, inclusive and bold.
If this describes your professional journey, and your demonstrated character and competencies, we want to hear from you.
- Lead the development and implementation of key strategic projects working with multiple departments and stakeholders
- Leadership in the development and administration of corporate initiatives related to the latest trends, technological and organizational advancements in roads, storm water, bridges and related infrastructure maintenance; and
- Guides and defines strategies and framework that allow the City to make sound decisions regarding service delivery in areas of Works Operations and Contract Services.
- Assess and allocate resources and participate in organizational design of the Road Operations team.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual Service Plan, including making recommendations to ensure efficiency of Road Operations policies and standards.
- Develop, monitor and evaluate programs making recommendations for innovative strategies that improve service delivery and effective management of resources.
- Foster continuous improvement approach within the Division and business unit.
- Oversee the development, implementation and maintenance of standard operating procedures, guidelines and templates.
- Tracking of trends and changes in municipal statues, legislation and regulations for potential impact on Road Operations service delivery; monitor of the City’s compliance of the same.
- Establishment and implementation of a quality assurance program covering service delivery by Road Operations; insurance of compliance with service level standards; ongoing review of feedback with follow up on user complaints.
- Leads, hires, coaches, mentors, and provides guidance to Road Operations team that encourages employee engagement, innovation and productivity.
- Provide administrative, operational and technical leadership and oversight on overall and specific Road Operations requirements, and ensure standards and performance measures are achieved.
- Recruit and retain top talent that align with organizational values and competencies.
- Performance manages staff, develops team members, provides training and development opportunities to help team members achieve their best.
- Liaises and interacts with agencies, public and private organizations, departments and stakeholders to exchange information and acquire knowledge driving efficiency.
- Champion excellence in customer service and delivery with key internal partners, customers and external stakeholder groups.
- Builds and sustains strong working relationships and collaborative arrangements with internal and external customers, union partners, stakeholders and government agencies to promote, develop and integrate organizational goals and objectives that drive business solutions.
- Represent the City at meetings with public, intergovernmental and other agencies for preparation of various plans, documents, etc.
Communication and Reporting
- Ensure a high level of communication and engagement within Road Operations, the organization, and with external partners that align with organizational values and culture including timely and consistent communication.
- Communicate effectively and establish links with stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Prepare documents, correspondence and reports for presentation to corporate leadership team and Council.Corporate Contribution
- Anticipate, assess and evaluate internal and external factors and trends that affect infrastructure maintenance such as environmental / technical initiatives and develop strategies, approaches and programs to implement, including liaising with stakeholders as needed.
- Identify and/or provide leadership for identifying new technology and approaches for roads, storm water, bridges and related infrastructure maintenance and recommend approaches that can be adopted by the City.
- Manage procurement of outsourced services including Requests for Proposals for both Road Operations and internal stakeholders in accordance with the City’s Purchasing By-Law.
Teamwork and Cooperation
- Lead and manage projects and program initiatives to deliver organizational results.
- Foster engagement and build consensus to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Work collaboratively within a team environment while respecting diverse experiences, backgrounds and perspectives and foster a culture of inclusion and engagement.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Manage and control the budget, ensuring approvals and spending are consistent with operating objectives to ensure budget and policy/by-law compliance.
- Ensure projects are regularly and accurately updated for cost control purposes.
- Ensure projects are completed on time and within budget and provide detailed explanations where this is not the case.
- Negotiate with internal and external stakeholders and vendors while maintaining optimum cost-benefit relationships.
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
- Senior and Operations Technicians
- CUPE Field Staff
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Civil Engineering, Business Administration or equivalent industry experience with previous senior level municipal experience.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) or C.E.T. with Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) or equivalent industry certifications.
- Demonstration of progressive education updates to stay current regarding new and upcoming administrative, operational and technical challenges.
- Minimum of 7 years’ overall experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ management experience.
- Preferably in both a municipal and unionized environment.
- Thorough and demonstrated knowledge of all pertinent acts including, but not limited to, Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act, Municipal Act, Highway Traffic Act, Employment Standards Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and all applicable municipal standards, procedures and manuals.
- Demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, teamwork, initiative, self-management, accountability, flexibility and adaptability.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated competencies including results focus, people leadership, financial management, business planning, decision making, judgement and discretion, representation, professionalism and job knowledge.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, exceptional negotiation, communication and presentation skills including superior report writing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills and knowledge including Microsoft office/software and adaptation to internal City programs.
- Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ Drivers Licence in good standing and reliable vehicle to use on a corporate business.
- Ability to work non-standard hours including, but not limited to, meeting and special, emergency, weather related events during evenings and weekends.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by October 4, 2018.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103077 by October 4, 2018, and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.