URBAN DESIGN MANAGER
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Planning Developments, this leadership position is responsible for providing expertise and managing and leading a diversified team of highly specialized professionals in urban design excellence that undertake a collaborative, multidisciplinary process to facilitate the development of productive, livable, connected, healthy, sustainable communities and a vibrant, attractive city on the global stage that is a place for people.
As a key member of the leadership team, this role will participate in strategic planning at both the divisional level as well as the provision of expertise to broader City-wide strategy.
- Responsible for leading and managing urban design services including: urban design comments on development applications; architectural control compliance review; special projects and city initiated urban design studies.
- Responsible for the development, update, and implementation of development design guidelines, community design guidelines, procedures and standards.
- Responsible for urban design policy development for the Official Plan review and implementation, secondary and block plans.
- Responsible for leading urban design advocacy initiatives including workshops and charrettes, education and information sessions for internal and external stakeholders and showcasing quality projects in Brampton through Urban Design Awards program and other projects, including but not limited to the City’s Urban Design Review Panel.
- Responsible for managing the decision making process that involves the implementation of urban design excellence through various platforms and the review of options to achieve such objectives.
- Provide project management expertise to support various urban design initiatives and projects.
- Provide recommendations on managing critical urban design issues and risks.
- Contribute as a member of the management team in the formulation of philosophy, mission, corporate goals and objectives related to the provision of excellent services and programs.
- Manage, coach, consult and influence staff to promote effective employee relations and encourage innovation, productivity and service excellence.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team in establishing goals, objectives and deliverables.
- Establish clear and appropriate governance to effectively manage programs and services.
- Conduct performance management formal process and annual reviews.
- Provide expertise and guidance to internal and external stakeholders on specialized enquiries and convey complex issues to influence decision-making.
- Partners with other leaders within the division and department to ensure collaboration and alignment of initiatives.
- Ensure that the Urban Design team is providing a high quality of service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and foster strong working relationships and collaborative arrangements with internal and external customers, stakeholders, consultants, business and community leaders, municipal and provincial partners, public to meet the City’s Strategic Plan goals and objectives.
- Anticipate and troubleshoot issues and determine appropriate courses of action.
- Provide Guidance to senior leaders to determine appropriate resolution of urban matters
- Build and maintain effective relationships within all levels of government and external stakeholders that will enhance and reinforce the goals of the City and reflect the urban issues of a transitioning municipality
- Collaborate with partners, assess and prioritize issues, research and coordinate supporting information and facilitate appropriate action to ensure success in achieving shared goals
- Demonstrate knowledgeable leadership in order to build trust and sense of shared responsibility in the delivery of the City’s planning and urban design goals and objectives.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Communicate effectively and establish links with stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative solutions and strategies.
- Convey technical complex information for information sharing and decision making.
- Provide proactive strategic communications for various urban design initiatives such as briefings and reports.
- Provide advice to senior leaders and Council on urban design matters that are subject to litigations and report back on the outcomes of such proceedings.
- Prepare, present reports and advise Council and management on urban design matters.
- Work closely with Communications to ensure accurate key messages for media purposes
- Communicate effectively and champion the City’s purpose, values, mindset and style, embedded in the City’s DNA.
- Represent the City on urban design matters that directly or indirectly affect the City of Brampton.
- Keep abreast of emerging best practices and policies for developing and implementing urban design solutions.
- Maintain knowledge of collective agreements, City policies and practices including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), all laws, regulatory, judicial mandates, ordinances, legislative acts, codes and by-laws set out by Federal, Provincial or Municipal levels of government.
- Prepare the section’s current and capital budget
- Monitor and control the budget, ensuring approvals and spending are consistent with operating objectives to ensure budget compliance.
- Manage overall financial budgeting for projects.
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Ability to foster engagement, debate and discuss building of consensus to achieve the City’s Strategic Plan goals and objectives.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to achieve the City’s Strategic Plan goals and objectives while respecting diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
- Demonstrate success developing and implementing multi-faceted plans for diverse stakeholders with wide-ranging impacts.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Post-secondary degree in Architecture, Urban Design or equivalent in related field.
- Master’s degree an asset.
- Professional designation an asset.
- 7-10 years related experience in an urban design planning preferably in both public and unionized environments.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive management experience managing professional staff.
- Expert knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments, applicable legislation and awareness of current social, economic and political priorities is an asset
- Project Management experience and methodology is an asset
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to inspire, champion, promote and deliver on new ideas
- Proven ability to meet deadlines; good performance and work record.
- Highly-developed Relationship Management and Public Relations skills; Interface with internal and external key stakeholders, community groups, government agencies, public and private sector organizations
- Highly-developed Organizational skills; Detail oriented, well organized and able to prioritize highly-complex tasks with critical deadlines
- Highly-developed Analytical skills for complex problem solving; Fiscal and Financial acumen
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office/software
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $112,329.00 per year
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: August 24, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103070 by August 24, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.