AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
This role reports into the City Clerk’s Office. The mandate of the Protocol Officer is to advance the policy goals of the City, Mayor, and Council by creating an environment for successful diplomacy and engagement with local, national and international dignitaries, while positioning Brampton as a world class city. The Protocol Officer upholds and enhances the reputation of the City, Mayor and Council in official functions, activities, celebrations and commemorations. The Protocol Officer provides professional direction on protocol events, activities and procedures to the Mayor, Members of Council, City Departments and the general public based on protocol precedence.
Protocol Consultation: Upholds the reputation of the City, Mayor and Council.
- Provides protocol and cultural advice to the City, Mayor and Council, including proper etiquette, traditions and values.
- Acts as the City’s authority on all matters related to protocol.
- Develops standards, policies, guidelines, processes and procedures relating to protocol.
- Leads and directs the identification of issues and trends and proactively advises and consults on matters of protocol.
- Ensures the proper use and sanctity of the symbols of Brampton, including the Chain of Office, Coat of Arms, and City Flag.
- Advising on policies and practices associated with giving and receiving gifts.
Protocol Support: Creates an environment for successful diplomacy and engagement with local, national and international dignitaries and guests.
- Corresponds with local, national and international dignitaries.
- Creates reference guides and communicates protocol requirements.
- Supports meetings and speeches with Federal and Provincial dignitaries.
- Receives and assesses requests from dignitaries or associated groups. Working with departments to respond to requests, and supports or organizes visits, courtesy calls, study tours and all other communication with dignitaries.
- Ensures protocols are adhered to by briefing the Mayor and senior officials on styles of address and specific customs and protocols prior to their participating in official receptions hosted by the city, attending an event as an invited guest, hosting courtesy calls or participating in flag raising ceremonies.
Protocol Adherence: Ensures adherence and application of the Protocol as it relates to civic ceremonial or corporate events and tributes.
- Develop and maintain diplomatic policy, directive(s) and protocol(s) for the Corporation.
- Receives and assesses requests related to civic ceremonial or corporate events and tributes.
- Provide advice and recommendations on appropriate food and beverage options to be served at formal receptions taking into account religious and cultural sensitivities, ensuring proper seating arrangements, researching, purchasing/custom ordering of gifts for official presentations by the City for visiting dignitaries.
- Advises and supports the development of tributes, such as letters, citizen/business anniversaries, condolences, memorials; and, corporate and community historic milestones.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Public Relations or equivalent in related field
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in public relations, external relations and in executing matters of protocol, preferably in both public or unionized environment.
- Experience in organizing events/meetings with dignitaries would be an asset.
- Experience in the specific area of protocol, in a multi-lateral setting, is desirable.
- Experience in the application of administrative procedures and practices of municipal government or that of a similar government organization is desirable.
- Matters of protocol and relevant issues within local, regional, national and international communities.
- Knowledge of governmental relations, public relations, event organization and related matters.
- Effective partnership/relationship building and negotiation techniques.
- Practical Knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments and applicable Legislations is an asset.
- Diversity and equity issues with an awareness and appreciation for cultural and international expectations, differences and sensitivities.
- Aptitude for exercising Independent judgment in expediting projects under strained conditions and executing follow through in a timely manner.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make independent decisions when encountering non-routine and unexpected situations and problems.
- A valid, non-probationary Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License is required
- Able to work evenings and weekends as required.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Salary Range: $77,201 - $96,501 per year
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: August 20, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103059 by August 20, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.