DATABASE AND DATA ENGINEER
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Under the direction of the Manager, Databases and Data Technologies maintains the Corporate and Departmental Level Databases and Data Technologies platforms. This includes collaborating with operating units to implement a comprehensive organizational data strategy, enabling accessibility to “shared data”, creating and maintaining enterprise and business operating unit specific data repositories and supporting an organizational transition to big data accessibility.
- Participates in the development of roadmaps involving database and data technologies and the creation of processes and procedures for the database deployment, builds, backup and recovery, business continuity planning, security and monitoring.
- Participates in setting strategies and standards through data modeling and implementation, leveraging big data and analytics tools and technologies.
- Designs, builds and maintains data frameworks (ingestion, processing, distribution, access) for City of Brampton core data platform.
- Interface with other technology and business teams to extract, transform and load data from a wide variety of data sources.
- Implement and support big data solutions for distributed computing.
- Design, develop and maintain data pipelines for corporate dashboards and reporting.
- Profiles data to measure quality, integrity, accuracy and completeness.
- Supports development of comprehensive ongoing platform migration strategy, including the identification of additional hardware and software requirements, establishing procedures and documentation of overall system design.
- Continuously monitors Enterprise Level Databases, resizing and tuning various parameters as required.
- Integrates existing systems with new environments in a phased manner.
- Develops databases and data backup/restore procedures in a multi-vendor environment.
- Accountable for the successful and stable co-existence of the City’s Corporate Application solutions on all Enterprise Level Database environments.
- Acts as senior level internal consultant to systems development and project teams.
- Monitors systems usage, prepares peak loading reports, recommends performance enhancement and provides user support.
- Creates and monitors project plans and timelines for special integration initiatives.
- Execute database cloning, migration, conversion and normalization procedures for development and production environments.
- Participates in the change management processes to ensure quality of Database and Data Technologies elements.
- Maintains the availability, security, and performance of the organization’s databases and data repositories working in collaboration with other cross platform teams.
- Maintains development and continuous refinement of documented database and data strategies in order to provide a scalable and manageable environment for future growth.
- Stays informed of industry and product trends and advances.
- Operationalizes onboard processes for new database and data technologies pertain to business solutions in cloud.
- Maintains and meets all audit and regulatory compliance standards and controls -- including but not limited to user access, data restrictions, and process controls.
- Participate in Request for Proposals (RFPs) and other Information Technology projects documents reviews for Database and Data Technologies related content.
- Maintains compliance to security, confidentiality and privacy policies of section high privileged SME’s handling the sensitive data.
- All other duties as assigned.
- University degree in computer science or related discipline with minimum of 5 years’ experience in MS SQL Server and Oracle database administration, platform design, solution, delivery and operations.
- Demonstrated expertise working in a multi-vendor mixed operating system environment.
- Oracle and MS SQL DBA certifications. ITIL certification would be an asset.
- Expert level production experience with RDBMS technologies including MS SQL Server and Oracle.
- Experience with cloud based business solution deployments.
- Successful implementation of at least 5 major systems/applications with demonstrated track record.
- Production experience and excellent understanding with Data Warehousing lifecycle principles and best practices.
- Experience working with virtualized and physical environments, including public and private cloud.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expert level production experience supporting Oracle 11g/12c Database , Oracle 12c RAC, MS SQL Server 2012/2014/2016 including Always-ON and SSIS in terms of installation, upgrade and troubleshooting.
- Experience with OEM 12c (Oracle Enterprise Manager) for Oracle products and Quest Foglight product for the management of MS SQL Server database platform.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $99,972.00 per annum
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: July, 27th, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference # 103021 by July 27, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.