AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Surveys and Mapping, conducts surveys to record topographic data and provide engineering layout.
- Responsible for adapting and choosing appropriate survey methods to obtain accurate Pre-engineering data using survey equipment. Check and verify all survey data.
- Prepare, calculate, verify and establish layout as needed for construction projects as well as proposed/existing property limits for Realty and Legal departments.
- Must ensure safety to survey crew and general public (pedestrians and motorists) when working in the field by following specific regulations: Ontario Traffic Manual – Book 7, Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), and the City of Brampton’s standard procedures. The Survey Technician requires confined space awareness.
- Establish, measure and verify Project Control for Pre-Engineering Surveys and Capital Construction projects.
- Responsible for the security, operation, care and maintenance of all survey equipment including vehicle.
- Set up office and field files for new survey projects through research of legal survey plans, engineering plans and control monuments.
- Investigate, check, verify and respond to survey inquiries from other departments, consultants, contractors, other government agencies or authorities. Responsible for training students and new/temporary employees in survey procedures and practices.
- Directs and assumes total responsibilities of the Survey crew on projects in the absence of the Party Chief or Survey Coordinator.
- Perform additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- High School (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two (2) and up to three (3) years in Civil, Survey or Geomatics Engineering Technology, or equivalent
- Over two (2) years, up to and including four (4) years of experience in the survey field (topographical, cadastral, geomatics).
- Total Station and Global Station Positioning System (GPS) experience.
- Must hold a valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Ability to become a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) with OACETT in either the Civil or Survey discipline.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Able to lift and carry heavy equipment, materials and tools.
- Able to exercise independent judgement and sound decision making skills.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $73,109.41 per yr
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: July 24, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103001 by July 24, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.