ASSISTANT DEPUTY CHIEF (1 YEAR CONTRACT)
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Brampton Fire & Emergency Services (BFES) is committed to hiring a workforce rich in diversity and inclusion in order to reflect the population that we serve and to enhance and expand the commitment to diversity, access, equity and inclusion. This role will focus on facilitating the development and execution of a strategy which enables an inclusive workplace and supports a diverse workforce; through partnering with stakeholder groups to champion community outreach initiatives and ensuring diversity and inclusion strategies and programs are embedded within core processes and day-to-day operations.
- Connect with community leaders to showcase and highlight opportunities and advantages of a career with (BFES).
- Participate as a member of various diversity committees both internally and externally.
- Partner with stakeholders and resources for knowledge sharing and consistency of approach.
- Chair internal Diversity Equity and Inclusion roundtable and committee.
- Partner with Association on D, E & I to support internal cultural change.
- Lead the development of key programs and initiatives to achieve measurable results.
- Leverage various sources of knowledge related to diversity, equity and inclusion to recommend best practices and experiences to craft programs necessary to achieve desired results.
- Develop and implement a public engagement and recruitment outreach campaign with community groups.
- Lead the development and execution of communication strategies, including reporting, social media platforms, special features, marketing and career outreach materials, etc.
- Partner with and train other BFES employees to be able to conduct recruitment outreach in addition to fire safety programming, etc.
- Report and present on the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion strategic vision and outcomes.
- Develop metrics to measure the effectiveness of diversity initiatives implemented.
- Track results of diversity census data and identify priorities in response to demographics and survey results.
- Develop and foster strong partnerships with the community to understand community needs and requirements, enhance community engagement and integration with BFES initiatives and activities.
- Improve and enhance outreach activities related to public education and fire prevention.
- Engage with various committees and groups as well as create partnership opportunities between all BFES divisions and the community.
- College Diploma or University Degree in Diversity Studies, Social Science, Business or Public Administration or a related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years group, process and meeting facilitation experience.
- Previous experience leading and implementing diversity strategies or a change strategy for a large and complex organization either in the public or private sector is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in implementing leading recruitment practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication with a strong emphasis on networking and outreach.
- Proficient in English and knowledge of other commonly spoken languages in Brampton such as Punjabi, Urdu, Portuguese, Gujarati and Hindi would be an asset.
- Ability to serve as a champion of Brampton Fire & Emergency Services diversity and inclusion initiatives inside and outside the organization.
- Knowledge in Federal, Provincial, local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes.
- Valid Ontario Class G Drivers Licence
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Watch our Join Our Team video to hear what our employees say about working here. For insight about Brampton’s future, take a peek at what renowned urban planner Larry Beasley has to say.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $87,514.00 per year
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: July 26, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #103020 by July 26, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.