Under the direction of Supervisor, Tax Services, this position is responsible for the data entry, analysis, organization and customer service for all tax processes in accordance with the City’s policies and the Municipal Act, 2001; Provide backup assistance, as required, in all property tax related areas.
- Examines and updates information in applicable tax systems, including ownership changes, mailing addresses, various rebate applications, property tax programs, and mortgage account information.
- Responsible for scheduling and processing daily uploads including investigating adjustments for debits and credits.
- Administers banking platform for tax.
- Provides guidance to, allocates and verifies work of the Tax Clerks.
- Conducts detailed analysis on accounts and prepares summary reports and refund cheque requisitions where required.
- Reviews and approves requests for refunds and adjustments.
- Develops, implements and maintains process controls on clerk level workload.
- Monitor and reconcile tax emails, call-backs and staff responses from Service Brampton.
- Provides information and explanation in response to escalated enquiries from customers such as taxpayers, Council, Mayor’s Office, lawyers, realtors, mortgagors, businesses through several contact channels such as e-mails and telephone.
- Create and update SOPs as required.
- Reviews invoices and monitors budgets for Tax Billing outsourcer and Canada Post.
- Organizes and maintains records for future updates in the tax system.
- Processes tax payments and return incorrect payments as required.
- Facilitates training and provides support for tax system upgrades, testing and maintenance as it relates to all tax modules.
- Assists in process reviews and co-ordinates implementation and required staff training.
- Assists with Payment-in-Lieu (PIL) and linear accounts for reconciliation and billings/invoices.
- Reconciles agent tax billing files and invoice files.
- Prepares and mails tax notices/statements following legislated protocols.
- Identifies efficiencies to manage volume.
- Assists with uploads, appeals process, tax adjustments, billings and Council reports as required.
- Balances levies and billings pertaining to tax account adjustments for accuracy & completeness.
- Liaise with other municipalities, government and professional organizations.
- Responsible for monitoring and updating portal and website content.
- Process charges added to taxes, such as water bills and by-law infractions for collection.
- Review and process payments in suspense.
- Maintains the pre-authorized tax payment program option.
- Undertakes a variety of duties related to records retention.
- Handles incoming and outgoing mail, validate and investigate returned mail.
- Performs other similar and related duties as may be assigned.
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus completion of a 4-year degree in Business with focus on Finance, Accounting, Economics, Mathematics, Business Commerce, Real Estate, Public Administration OR completion of Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- Over two year (2) up to and including four (4) years of related experience involving direct public contact, preferably in a local government environment.
- Valid Ontario G license is required.
- Completion of the Municipal Tax Administration Program (MTAP) is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team environment.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office.
- Sound judgment, good decision making and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of municipal functions/departments and processes an asset
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. To hear more of what our employees have to say, watch our Join Our Team Video. For some insight on Brampton’s future watch our Planning Vision Video by renowned Planner Larry Beasley.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $66,539.20 per year (temporary rating)
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by: August 7, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #102942 by August 7, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.