PARKSKEEPER IV, DISTRICT
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Foreperson, Parks District, maintains City Parks and operating equipment to ensure that parks are safe and well maintained. Directs Parkskeeper III and students/temporary employees.
- Maintains turf in parks, boulevards, sports fields, etc. Mows/cuts, fertilizes, aerates, seeds, and applies top dressing. Performs grading with front-end loader, rake, and shovel. Repairs turf, removing damaged sod and laying new sod. Plants flowers, prunes trees, and performs limited gardening under gardener direction.
- Spray non-selective herbicides under the direction of licenced personnel at playgrounds, sports fields, warning tracks, bleachers and benches and flower and shrub beds.
- Directs and assigns day-to-day activities to temporary and part-time staff, instructs in the use of proper safety equipment.
- Maintain all cyclical operations pertaining to City irrigation systems.
- Performs scheduled maintenance of playground surfaces and routine maintenance such as painting and removal of litter, debris and graffiti. Checks for safety hazards and corrects or advises Inspectors as needed.
- Assists Inspectors with removal of playground structures.
- Operates front-end loader, 10’ self propelled mowers, water truck, tractors with attachments, trucks, etc., to perform functions; checks equipment daily and performs routine maintenance/minor repairs. Reports faulty equipment to Supervisor.
- Performs winter maintenance functions: ploughs and removes snow in parking lots, walkways, ice rinks, ponds, etc. (e.g. shovels, operates 5-ton dump truck, bombardier, etc.) Sands parking lots, walkways, underpasses, etc.
- Installs, maintains and repairs fences, snow fences, park benches, signs, catch basins, walkways (i.e. cold patches/asphalts potholes in parks).
- Waters plants and shrubs, washes parking lots and walkways, and floods outdoor ice rinks operating water trucks.
- Changes park garbage bags; repairs barrels as needed, and picks-up litter/debris in parks.
- Installs and maintains outdoor ice rinks: installs rink boards, floods ice, removes snow, etc.
- Responsible for the co-ordination and set up of special events.
- Respond to public inquiries.
- Hauls materials to work-sites, e.g. soil, gravel, etc.
- Manufactures and installs parking curbs, patio stones, baseball plates, etc.
- Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned
- High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of up to one year - University of Guelph Horticulturalist Certificate or Humber College Horticulture Science 105 and one of the following 106, 107 & 104, or equivalent.
- Over two (2) years, up to and including four (4) years related experience in a parks/horticulture environment.
- A valid, non-probationary Ontario Class DZ driver’s license.
- Front End Loader Qualification (asset).
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
** Various tests and/or exams may be required as part of the selection criteria.
Please apply online, quoting file number: 102781 by February 28, 2018 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.