SUPERVISOR, BY-LAW ENFORCEMENT
Reference #: 102823
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, this role ensures the delivery of adequate enforcement and by-law services to meet or exceed community standards and ensure public safety and confidence. Supervises daily activities pertaining to enforcement and ensures staff is fully trained and resourced to fulfill obligatory requirements. Monitors and measures enforcement activities for continuous improvement initiatives.
- Supervise property standards or by-law enforcement Teams. Provides daily direction to unionized Reviews job requests, schedules and assigns work duties ensuring sufficient resources and adequate staffing levels are maintained to meet workload demands. Ensures staff follow Health & Safety regulations and comply with other applicable standards. Provides leadership to unionized staff through regular coaching, recruitment and selection and establishing an environment that is conducive to quality and teamwork. Provides performance feedback and manages disciplinary measures, Health & Safety and the implementation of corporate HR policies. Provides input into the development and delivery training programs for staff. Ensures that inspections are carried out efficiently and effectively to meet service standards and operating guidelines.
- Oversees Property Standards or By-law Enforcement functions. Analyzes complex enforcement and community challenges and develops alternative enforcement strategies to protect city and public interests. Tracks performance and workload indicators, co-ordinates with stakeholders (i.e., Call Center, Amanda Administrators etc.) to ensure accuracy of information, policies and procedures. Implements changes as they apply to the daily work. Identifies need for, develops and drafts new procedures or modifications of existing SOPs. Conducts routine reviews of Property Standards and By-Law teams’ documentation, note taking and requests for Prosecution that will provide consistency and meet quality standards. Identifies training needs and makes recommendations to Manager.
- Provides Customer Service. Answers queries and responds to requests from internal and external customers, handling highly sensitive enforcement issues and enquiries related to daily operations. Takes into consideration public opinion, corporate image, and reasonable prospects to ensure timely resolution of problems. Ensures investigations are carried out efficiently and effectively to meet or exceed service standards. Handling of urgent issues, including providing correct responses. Manages important external relationships including contractors, public, media, Council members, community groups, stakeholders and other enforcement agencies.
- Issue Management and Analysis. Investigates issues with broad public impacts and resolves all sensitive and political matters to minimize risk. Escalates issues to Manager, Enforcement for awareness and resolve. Makes recommendations as required ensuring compliance and safety for all citizens. Recommends changes to appropriate by-laws for enforcement improvement. Analyses trends and activities within the municipality and provides reports for Council review outlining relevant and recurring issues.
- Provides input into department budget. Identifies pressures, operational requirements, and ensures tracking of specific areas or projects. Makes recommendations based on analysis of enforcement trends with anticipation of emerging enforcement initiatives that may affect budget planning and forecasting.
- Post-secondary education, with a degree or diploma in Public Administration, Law and Security, Criminology.
- 3-5 years experience in enforcement
- Minimum three years of supervisory or team leadership experience, preferably in a unionized environment
- Knowledge of municipal by-laws an asset
- Experience in data collection and organization of files; ability to use MS Office software
- Solid communication skills; experience presenting information to diverse audiences
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. To hear more of what our employees have to say, watch our Join Our Team Video. For some insight on Brampton’s future watch our Planning Vision Video by renowned Planner Larry Beasley.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
** Starting Salary: $86,221.00/yr
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: February 26, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com quoting reference #102823 by February 26, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.