Under the direction of the Foreperson of Cemetery Services, Responsible for the daily maintenance of the cemeteries owned and operated by the City of Brampton.
- Monitors work assignments;
- Assists with set up of graves for the purpose of burial and removal of human remains;
- Assists with the restoration and follow up maintenance of burial plots after the burial or removal of human remains.(Level graves, topsoil, seed, sod and irrigate);
- Assist in the restoration of monuments or markers in all cemeteries under the care of the City of Brampton in need of repair due to weather, aging or vandalism;
- Assists with the property maintenance including, buildings and road repairs, fences, benches, and other cemetery structures;
- Snow removal and sanding;
- Turf maintenance including, fertilizing, cutting, seeding, watering, leaf removal and regarding;
- Performs general maintenance/assembling including repairing benches and fencing;
- Performs litter pick up in all cemeteries owned and operated by the City of Brampton;
- Remove flowers from graves and change garbage barrels;
- Gardening including, soil management, preparing and planting of flowerbeds;
- Assist with pruning, fertilizing, preparing, and planting of shrubs and trees;
- Assists with repairs and maintenance of irrigation systems in the cemetery;
- Ensures safe and responsible operation of all City vehicles and equipment;
- Ensures all tools/equipment are operated competently, safely and maintained in a good operating condition. (Including circle checks);
- Performs routine maintenance and service including: lubricates, cleans and washes trucks, trailers and minor repairs to hand tools;
- Represents the Corporation in a professional, courteous and respectful manner in all dealing with the public;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School (Grade 12) graduation;
- Over two (2) years of experience in the cemetery, landscaping, horticulture, farming or related experience;
- Landscape certificate or Equivalent an asset;
- Must possess a valid non-probationary MTO Class “G” driver’s licence;
- Ability to wear and use required personal protective equipment and clothing and supply own CSA approved (green patch) 8” work boots;
- Excellent customer service skills and demonstrates effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Must be a reliable team player, able to work with and without direct supervision;
- Able to work outside in varying weather conditions (heat, wet) and perform physical work;
- Able to work shift and weekend work, if required;
- Class DZ drivers licence an asset;
- Chainsaw certification an asset;
- Current Standard First Aid / CPR C / AED from an accredited organization;
- Submit a Criminal Record Check.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Contract Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by July 01, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by July 01, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.