Reporting to the Foreperson, or Supervisor on Duty this leadership position is responsible for leading a team of part time staff in performing their duties within the City’s parks and open spaces. Ensure that parks, open space, and outdoor amenities are safe, clean, accessible and enjoyable for all patrons. Ensure the safe use and operation of small and large equipment and vehicles at all times by staff and yourself.
- Leads a team of part time staff by assigning, guiding and participating in necessary maintenance duties and ensures the safe use and operation of small and large equipment and vehicles by staff at all times
- Assigns and assists with duties related to Turf maintenance – fertilizing, mowing, trimming, seeding, watering, weeding, leaf removal and turf removal, and other duties as required;
- Assigns and assists with duties related to Gardening – soil management, prepare and plant flowerbeds, and mulching.;
- Assigns and assists with work related to Pruning - fertilizing, preparing, planting and staking of trees and shrubs and use of associated equipment/related tools; and other duties as required;
- Assigns and assists with litter pick up and washroom cleaning in any park/facility maintained by the City;
- Assigns and assists with changing garbage barrels throughout the parks and pick up glass in various areas as required;
- Ensures users’ needs are met for lining/grooming of sports field surfaces using grooming equipment; and other field recreation duties as required;
- Assigns and assists with cleaning and maintaining park furniture and other amenities;
- Ensures that all sports facilities/equipment (i.e. tennis, baseball, soccer, cricket) are maintained to the expected service level;
- Guides the Set up/take down for special events;
- Assists in Ground person role while staff are working aloft;
- Reviews and inspects work assigned to crews for Quality Assurance;
- Monitors and responsible for the safe and efficient operation, care and maintenance of tools, equipment and vehicles;
- Ensures daily circle checks on all equipment are completed and reports defects to the immediate supervisor;
- Reviews and maintains daily written records of work-related activities;
- As the lead role, coordinate and apply safety precautions and procedures in the performance of all duties in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and policies of the Corporation;
- In the absence of the supervisor is the lead in communicating with the general public and where necessary refer them to appropriate supervisor;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Enrolled and returning to a recognized educational institution on a full time basis and maintaining a course load of 3 or more courses in a post secondary program;
- 2 years work experience in related field;
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence with a clean driving record;
- Ability to successfully acquire City of Brampton Drivers and Equipment permits;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and Ability to work with and without direct supervision;
- Excellent Customer Service and good interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to deal with the public courteously and efficiently;
- Strong communication skills; able to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions;
- Submit or agree to a Standard Criminal Record Check;
- Current Standard First Aid / CPR / AED from an accredited organization.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: part time
Job Type: Non Union
Applications must be received by July 01, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by July 01, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.