Assists with a variety of parks construction related work
Duties include some or all of the following
- Assists with maintenance with respects to indoor and outdoor assets involving carpentry/cabinet assembly, plumbing and irrigation, brick and interlock repairs, concrete forming and concrete work, asphalt pathway repairs, graffiti removal, playground asset repairs, etc.;
- Assists with minor, routine maintenance and repairs on related City owned equipment;
- Acts as resource to support and assist with various departmental and Corporate special events. (e.g. Communities in Bloom);
- Assists with renovation work indoor and outdoor asset projects;
- Review and assess problematic area on indoor and outdoor assets and provide recommendations to correct deficiencies;
- Assists with installation of safety related equipment as required;
- Assists with the manufacturing and installation of signs;
- Responds to public inquiries;
- Accurately maintains daily, written records for the purpose of tracking, reporting and documenting maintenance activities;
- Delegates work assignments to students ensuring appropriate scheduling and quality control;
- Ensures work is performed efficiently and safely in accordance with approved City maintenance standards/specifications, policies and procedures and other legislative requirements. (e.g.: OHSA Health and Safety Act, Traffic Control, etc.);
- Monitors performance of students;
- Ensures safe and responsible operation of all City vehicles and equipment;
- Ensures all tools/equipment are operated competently, safely and maintained in a good operating condition. (Including circle checks);
- Performs routine maintenance and service including: lubricates, cleans and washes trucks, trailers and minor repairs to hand tools;
- Represents the Corporation in a professional, courteous and respectful manner in all dealings with the public;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Grade 12 education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience;
- Minimum of 4 years of related work experience;
- Related post-secondary education in construction/carpentry is an asset;
- Minimum of 1 year’s previous experience in general handyperson maintenance;
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence, with a clean driving record;
- DZ licence is an asset;
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties;
- Must be a reliable team player, able to work with and without direct supervision;
- Able to work outside in varying weather conditions (heat, cold, wet) and perform physical work;
- Current Standard First Aid / CPR C / AED from an accredited organization;
- Submit a Criminal Record Check;
- Available to work shift and weekend work, if required;
- Able to wear and use required personal safety equipment and clothing and supply own CSA approved (green patch) 8” work boots.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by July 01, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by July 01, 2018, and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.