Assists with the care and maintenance of all trees in parkland and on boulevards in the City of Brampton.
Duties include some or all of the following:
• Operation of ‘G’ Class vehicles;
• Operates and maintains small motorized tools such as chainsaws, brush chippers and pruners;
• Inspects, trims, prunes, removes and performs surgery on trees and shrubs both from the ground as well as aloft if required;
• Clean up of job sites during tree related operations;
• Plant trees using the required hand tools including shovels, rakes and wheelbarrows;
• General labour and inspection duties as assigned;
• Accurately maintains daily, written records for the purpose of tracking, reporting and documenting maintenance activities;
• Delegates work assignments to students ensuring appropriate scheduling and quality control;
• Monitors performance of students;
• Ensures work is performed efficiently and safely in accordance with approved City maintenance standards/specifications, policies and procedures and other legislative requirements. (e.g.: OSHA Health and Safety Act, Traffic Control, etc.);
• Ensures safe and responsible operation of all City vehicles and equipment;
• Ensures all tools/equipment are operated competently, safely and maintained in a good operating condition. (Including circle checks);
• Performs routine maintenance and service including: lubricates, cleans and washes trucks, trailers and minor repairs to hand tools;
• Represents the Corporation in a professional, courteous and respectful manner in all dealings with the public;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Climb and work at heights (testing required);
• Tree identification( testing required);
• Ability to use hydraulic aerial trucks;
• Assigns and assists with work related to pruning, fertilizing, preparing, planting and staking of trees and shrubs and use of associated equipment/related tools; and other duties as required;
• Tree identification and disease diagnosis (testing required).
• E.U.S.A. certification – ability to work around energized conductors Safety &;
• D’Z’ license.
• Small Aerial truck (operator);
• Large Aerial truck (operator);
• Minimum Grade 12 education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience;
• Minimum 2 years of related work experience;
• Related post-secondary education in arboriculture would be an asset;
• Minimum of 1 year’s previous experience with machines and equipment used which includes: trucks, tractors, mowing equipment, and small hand equipment preferred;
• Previous work experience in, arboriculture where required to work aloft, or related an asset;
• Physical ability to safely climb and perform work in large trees using approved equipment and techniques;
• Leadership experience an asset;
• Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence, with a clean driving record;
• Demonstrated effective communication skills, both oral and written;
• Strong customer service skills;
• Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties;
• Must be a reliable team player, able to work with and without direct supervision;
• Able to work outside in varying weather conditions (heat, cold, wet) and perform physical work;
• Current Standard First Aid / CPR C / AED from an accredited organization;
• Submit a Criminal Record Check;
• Available to work shift and weekend work, if required;
• Able to wear and use required personal safety equipment and clothing and supply own CSA approved (green patch) 8” work boots.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Contract
Applications must be received by July 01, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by July 01, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.