Assist with the maintenance of parkland and open space within the City of Brampton
Duties include some or all of the following:
- Maintains turf in parks, boulevards and sports fields. Cuts, trims, aerates, top-dresses, and fertilizes. Levels ground and seeds, de-thatches, sods, and irrigates turf. Picks up debris and leaves;
- Performs general maintenance/assembling including repairing benches, tennis courts, backstops, painting, fencing, cleaning watercourses, litter pick-up, sign repair, installing goal posts, building curbstones, home plates, pitchers & plates;
- Provides pick up and emptying garbage containers on daily basis of all parks, cemeteries, sports fields and trails;
- Distributes garbage cans and picnic tables to parks in the spring and for special events;
- Sports field inspection and preparation;
- Accurately maintains daily, written records for the purpose of tracking, reporting and documenting maintenance activities;
- Delegates work assignments to students ensuring appropriate scheduling and quality control;
- Ensures work is performed efficiently and safely in accordance with approved City maintenance standards/specifications, policies and procedures and other legislative requirements (e.g.: OSHA Health and Safety Act, Traffic Control, etc.);
- Monitors performance of students;
- Ensures safe and responsible operation of all City vehicles and equipment;
- Ensures all tools/equipment are operated competently, safely and maintained in a good operating condition. (Including circle checks);
- Performs routine maintenance and service including: lubricates, cleans and washes trucks, trailers and minor repairs to hand tools;
- Represents the Corporation in a professional, courteous and respectful manner in all dealings with the public;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Grade 12 education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience;
- Minimum 1 year of related work experience
- Previous work experience in landscaping, horticulture, farming or related experience an asset;
- Leadership experience an asset;
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence, with a clean driving record;
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, both oral and written;
- Must be a reliable team player, able to work with and without direct supervision;
- Able to work outside in varying weather conditions (heat, wet) and perform physical work;
- Current Standard First Aid / CPR C / AED from an accredited organization
- Submit a Criminal Record Check;
- Able to work shift and weekend work, if required;
- Able to wear and use required personal safety equipment and clothing and supply own CSA approved (green patch) 8” work boots.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Contract
Job Type: Union
Applications must be received by July 01, 2018
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, apply online by July 01, 2018 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.