PLANNING FACILITATOR, PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Planning Developments, this profile position is responsible for a special case management approach in providing expertise and resolution of planning and economic development approval and application issues. This role will act as a conduit to City staff, developers, builders, consultants and resident groups in dealing with large investments, strategic projects and other City-endorsed economic and cultural significant initiatives to expedite the approval process. Acting as an agent of change for the City, this role will provide strategic advice and collaborate with staff and external agencies to resolve escalated development obstacles.
The Facilitator will co-ordinate with internal approval authorities under the direction and guidance of the Commissioner of Planning.
Work closely and lead collaborative discussions to enable expeditious decision making for process, application and project issues with internal groups:
- Public Works
- Leadership team
As a key member of the Planning and Development Services team, this role will participate in planning at both the divisional level as well as providing expertise to broader City-wide development strategies.
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Act as a liaison between internal stakeholders and external businesses/developers to ensure seamless execution of planning and development matters.
- Responsible to mediate and resolve escalated issues and engage multi-disciplinary teams to facilitate and expedite the procedural process.
- Conduct best practice research and recommend innovative strategies to harmonize practices for transparent and seamless development outcomes.
- Responsible for marketing economic development plans and projects promoting the community in order to expand development opportunities.
- Contribute as a member of the team in the formulation of divisional goals and objectives related to the provision of excellent services and programs.
- Responsible for reviewing and analysing development applications, determining their appropriateness having consideration for financial/municipal policies and stakeholder comments and working with the applicant towards any necessary improvements.
- Provide expertise and guidance to internal and external stakeholders on specialized matters, elevated issues and remove barriers for complex issues to expedite processes.
- Partner and consult with cross-sectional teams to ensure collaboration and alignment of planning, economic and development initiatives.
- Provide a high quality of service to internal and external stakeholders.
Build and foster strong working relationships and collaborative arrangements with internal and external customers, stakeholders, consultants, business and community leaders, municipal and provincial partners to increase business sector investments and promote local business development.
- Lead cross-departmental working teams identifying work to be completed and resources for execution of development and process requirements.
- Liaise and negotiate with government officials, outside agencies, business leaders and staff representing the City through presentations and formal reporting.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Post-secondary degree in Urban and Regional Planning or equivalent in related field.
- Master’s degree an asset.
- Membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) with a Registered Planner (RPP) designation with the Ontario Profession Planners Institute (OPPI)
- 7-10 years related experience in planning or economic development with public and unionized exposure.
- 5-7 years progressive consultative experience with strong relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated negotiation and problem solving abilities working with diverse and political stakeholders.
- Expert knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments, applicable legislation and awareness of current social, economic and political priorities is an asset
- Project Management experience and methodology is an asset
- Highly-developed public relations skills; Interface with internal and external key stakeholders, community groups, government agencies, public and private sector organizations
- Highly-developed organizational skills; detail oriented, well organized and able to prioritize highly-complex tasks with critical deadlines
- Highly-developed analytical skills for complex problem solving;
- Fiscal and financial acumen
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office/software
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: November 26, 2017
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com by November 26, 2017 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.