SUPERVISOR, ZONING AND SIGN BY-LAW SERVICES
Reference #: 102721
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Zoning and Sign By-law Services, provides supervision to a team of professional and technical staff responsible for the application, interpretation and enforcement of the Zoning By-law, Sign By-law, Pool Enclosure By-law and Building Code Act and the administration of the two-unit dwelling registration program. Responsible for program development, delivery and the resolution of issues related to land use, development and the installation of signs on private property.
- Attend and participate in Council and Committee meetings, Committee of Adjustment, Development Team, Site Plan Committee, Sign By-law Cross-Functional Team and other internal and external cross-functional teams.
- Perform research, prepare reports and make recommendations related to amendments to the Sign By-law, Zoning By-law and Pool Enclosure By-law.
- Support the technical review and service delivery of zoning and sign compliance services in the review of applications for building permits, land development, two-unit dwelling registration, pool enclosure permits, compliance information requests, licensing and enforcement
- Support and develop procedures to ensure consistent practices are followed. Identify and assist in the development new procedures to support staff as changes related to ongoing efficiencies and technology are implemented.
- Maintain and monitor technical review standards, policies and procedures.
- Maintain and monitor the inspections program, investigations and the issuance of orders to comply and prosecutions.
MANAGEMENT AND TEAM LEADERSHIP SUPPORT
- Assist the Manager in providing guidance and leadership to a team of professionals who provide technical review and service delivery for Zoning/Sign By-law compliance, two-unit dwelling registration, enforcement and administration.
- Assist with the planning, prioritization and distribution of assignments to Zoning and Sign By-law Services staff based on qualifications and experience while maintaining and monitoring established services levels.
- Assist with the recruitment, training and performance management of professional/technical staff. Foster a productive team environment by effectively addressing issues, supporting and motivating staff.
- Identify education and training needs and implement programmes to address identified needs.
- Keep Manager informed and escalate any technical and administrative issues as may be required.
- Oversee and monitor standards for verbal and written responses to inquiries to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Provide professional customer service and conflict resolution in situations that may involve different points of view and become emotionally charged. Exercise tact, discretion and persuasive reasoning.
- Liaise and foster effectual working relationships with internal stakeholders including Planning, Public Works, Legal Services, Finance, Mayor/Council.
- Liaise with key external stakeholders including designers, contractors, homeowners, the Region of Peel, the Ministry of Transportation and other external agencies.
PERMITS, INSPECTIONS AND ENFORCEMENT
- Review orders to comply and initiate prosecution as required, consistent with established Divisional procedures.
- Liaise with developers, sign companies, business owners and other agencies to ensure that requirements and conditions of approval are fulfilled.
- Liaise with By-law Enforcement staff to coordinate provision of documentation and evidence related to zoning and sign by-law violations and subsequent prosecutions. Attend site investigations with Property Standards and By-law Enforcement staff and property owners, as necessary.
- Attend court and/or Ontario Municipal Board hearings as a subject matter expert in the application and interpretation of the Zoning By-law and/or Sign By-law.
- Provide interpretation of by-laws and legislation to staff, elected officials and the public.
- Research files and zoning archive, as required, in response to requests for compliance information and/or legal non-conforming status.
- Communicate, update and conduct public information sessions to ensure that key stakeholders have input into and are updated on critical projects and recommendations.
- Assist the Manager in responding to Council inquiries related to Zoning and Sign By-laws and second unit registration.
- Monitor the Two-Unit Zoning and Building Inquiries email boxes and manage/oversee appropriate responses.
- Post-secondary degree in Planning, Geography, Engineering or Architecture or a diploma in Architectural or Engineering Technology or equivalent field of study.
- 5 years progressive experience in a direct or related field, preferably in a public service and/or unionized environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated report writing and presentation skills and experience.
- Proficiency in the reading and interpretation of drawings, specifications and other technical documentation.
- Successful completion of provincial qualification examinations for Legal Processes, Small Buildings, Large Buildings and Building Structural is an asset.
- Highly developed analytical, problem solving and organizational skills
- A valid, non-probationary Ontario class G license and use of own vehicle.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of applicable Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal legislation is an asset.
- Successful completion of provincial qualification examinations for Legal Processes, Small Buildings.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by: November 26, 2017
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com quoting reference #102721 by November 26, 2017 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.