DEVELOPMENT PLANNER III (13 MONTH CONTRACT)
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Development Services, Site Plan Approval/COA & Information/Director, Development Services this position is responsible to undertake required work on complex, major planning proposals and projects within a community planning context; as Team Leader, facilitate and co-ordinate the community block plan process; liaise with other departments and agencies; effectively communicate proposals, projects and planning matters to the public.
- Review, process, and formulate planning opinions on complex, major planning proposals and projects within a community planning context (proposals and projects to include community blocks plans, plans of subdivisions applications, official plan and zoning amendment applications, site plan applications, minor variance and consent applications, part lot control applications, plan of condominium applications and other comprehensive projects or special studies as assigned).
- Process major planning proposals and projects to consist of: circulating to departments and agencies for comment; coordinating and analyzing comments; conducting research; attending and conducting site visits, preparing reports and recommendations; attending and making presentations at Development Review Team, Planning, Design and Development Committee, Site Plan Committee, the Committee of Adjustment and Corporate Teams; preparing implementation documents (by-laws, official plan amendments, conditions of draft plan approval); providing comments on subdivision, rezoning, condominium and site plan agreements, and on community information maps.
- Team leader for community block plans.
- Liaise with City departments and agencies (including contact at some senior levels) and the public on planning proposals and planning matters.
- Respond to general inquiries and provide effective and informative customer service.
- Attend and provide professional planning evidence at Ontario Municipal Board Hearings on assigned planning proposals and projects.
- Maintain up-to-date land use planning knowledge and updated legislation through attending seminars and courses and reading industry publications.
- Provide guidance to technical service and administration staff on assigned planning proposals and projects.
- Conducts site inspections to ensure compliance.
- Performs other similar and related duties as assigned.
- Equivalent to University graduation with additional specialization in Urban Planning, Urban Studies or equivalent.
- Over four (4) years, up to and including eight (8) years of experience in land use planning with demonstrated knowledge of complex projects (i.e. community block plans, subdivision plans, official plan and zoning amendments, sites plan approvals, part lot control by-laws, variances and consents, plans of condominium).
- Membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) with a Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation with the Ontario Profession Planners Institute (OPPI).
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Superior organizational, time and project management skills.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102673 by October 23, 2017 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.